Tor 0.2.8.5-rc is released
Tor 0.2.8.5-rc has been released! You can download the source from the Tor website. Packages should be available over the next week or so.
Tor 0.2.8.5-rc is the second release candidate in the Tor 0.2.8 series. If we find no new bugs or regressions here, the first stable 0.2.8 release will be identical to it. It has a few small bugfixes against previous versions.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a release candidate. We think that we solved all of the showstopper bugs, but we also thought the same thing about 0.2.8.4-rc: crucial bugs may remain. Please only run this release if you're willing to test and find bugs. If no showstopper bugs are found, we'll be putting out 0.2.8.6 as a stable release.
Changes in version 0.2.8.5-rc - 2016-07-07
- Directory authority changes:
- Urras is no longer a directory authority. Closes ticket 19271.
- Major bugfixes (heartbeat):
- Fix a regression that would crash Tor when the periodic "heartbeat" log messages were disabled. Fixes bug 19454; bugfix on tor-0.2.8.1-alpha. Reported by "kubaku".
- Minor features (build):
- Minor bugfixes (fallback directory selection):
- Avoid errors during fallback selection if there are no eligible fallbacks. Fixes bug 19480; bugfix on 0.2.8.3-alpha. Patch by teor.
- Minor bugfixes (IPv6, microdescriptors):
- Don't check node addresses when we only have a routerstatus. This allows IPv6-only clients to bootstrap by fetching microdescriptors from fallback directory mirrors. (The microdescriptor consensus has no IPv6 addresses in it.) Fixes bug 19608; bugfix on 0.2.8.2-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (logging):
- Reduce pointlessly verbose log messages when directory servers can't be found. Fixes bug 18849; bugfix on 0.2.8.3-alpha and 0.2.8.1-alpha. Patch by teor.
- When a fallback directory changes its fingerprint from the hard- coded fingerprint, log a less severe, more explanatory log message. Fixes bug 18812; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha. Patch by teor.
- Minor bugfixes (Linux seccomp2 sandboxing):
- Allow statistics to be written to disk when "Sandbox 1" is enabled. Fixes bugs 19556 and 19957; bugfix on 0.2.5.1-alpha and 0.2.6.1-alpha respectively.
- Minor bugfixes (user interface):
- Remove a warning message "Service [scrubbed] not found after descriptor upload". This message appears when one uses HSPOST control command to upload a service descriptor. Since there is only a descriptor and no service, showing this message is pointless and confusing. Fixes bug 19464; bugfix on 0.2.7.2-alpha.
- Fallback directory list:
- Add a comment to the generated fallback directory list that explains how to comment out unsuitable fallbacks in a way that's compatible with the stem fallback parser.
- Update fallback whitelist and blacklist based on relay operator emails. Blacklist unsuitable (non-working, over-volatile) fallbacks. Resolves ticket 19071. Patch by teor.
- Update hard-coded fallback list to remove unsuitable fallbacks. Resolves ticket 19071. Patch by teor.