New Release Candidate: Tor 0.4.2.4-rc
There's a new release candidate available for download. If you build Tor from source, you can download the source code for 0.4.2.4-rc from the download page on the website. Packages should be available over the coming weeks, with a new alpha Tor Browser release likely by December 3.
Remember, this is a release candidate: there may still be more bugs here than usual. We'd love to know about any new ones, so that we can try to get them fixed before we call this series stable.
Tor 0.4.2.4-rc is the first release candidate in its series. It fixes several bugs from earlier versions, including a few that would result in stack traces or incorrect behavior.
Changes in version 0.4.2.4-rc - 2019-11-15
- Minor features (build system):
- Make pkg-config use --prefix when cross-compiling, if PKG_CONFIG_PATH is not set. Closes ticket 32191.
- Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the November 6 2019 Maxmind GeoLite2 Country database. Closes ticket 32440.
- Minor bugfixes (client, onion service v3):
- Fix a BUG() assertion that occurs within a very small race window between when a client intro circuit opens and when its descriptor gets cleaned up from the cache. The circuit is now closed early, which will trigger a re-fetch of the descriptor and continue the connection. Fixes bug 28970; bugfix on 0.3.2.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (code quality):
- Fix "make check-includes" so it runs correctly on out-of-tree builds. Fixes bug 31335; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (configuration):
- Log the option name when skipping an obsolete option. Fixes bug 32295; bugfix on 0.4.2.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (crash):
- When running Tor with an option like --verify-config or --dump-config that does not start the event loop, avoid crashing if we try to exit early because of an error. Fixes bug 32407; bugfix on 0.3.3.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (directory):
- When checking if a directory connection is anonymous, test if the circuit was marked for close before looking at its channel. This avoids a BUG() stacktrace if the circuit was previously closed. Fixes bug 31958; bugfix on 0.4.2.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (shellcheck):
- Testing (continuous integration):
- Use Ubuntu Bionic images for our Travis CI builds, so we can get a recent version of coccinelle. But leave chutney on Ubuntu Trusty, until we can fix some Bionic permissions issues (see ticket 32240). Related to ticket 31919.
- Install the mingw OpenSSL package in Appveyor. This makes sure that the OpenSSL headers and libraries match in Tor's Appveyor builds. (This bug was triggered by an Appveyor image update.) Fixes bug 32449; bugfix on 0.3.5.6-rc.
- In Travis, use Xcode 11.2 on macOS 10.14. Closes ticket 32241.