New release candidate: Tor 0.4.1.4-rc
There's a new release candidate available for download. If you build Tor from source, you can download the source code for 0.4.1.4-rc from the usual place on the website. Packages should be available over the coming weeks, with a new alpha Tor Browser release likely in the next month or so.
Remember, this is just a release candidate: you should only run this if you'd like to find and report bugs.
Tor 0.4.1.4-rc fixes a few bugs from previous versions of Tor, and updates to a new list of fallback directories. If no new bugs are found, the next release in the 0.4.1.x series should be stable.
Changes in version 0.4.1.4-rc - 2019-07-25
- Major bugfixes (circuit build, guard):
- When considering upgrading circuits from "waiting for guard" to "open", always ignore circuits that are marked for close. Otherwise, we can end up in the situation where a subsystem is notified that a closing circuit has just opened, leading to undesirable behavior. Fixes bug 30871; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
- Minor features (continuous integration):
- Our Travis configuration now uses Chutney to run some network integration tests automatically. Closes ticket 29280.
- Minor features (fallback directory list):
- Replace the 157 fallbacks originally introduced in Tor 0.3.5.6-rc in December 2018 (of which ~122 were still functional), with a list of 148 fallbacks (70 new, 78 existing, 79 removed) generated in June 2019. Closes ticket 28795.
- Minor bugfixes (circuit padding):
- On relays, properly check that a padding machine is absent before logging a warning about it being absent. Fixes bug 30649; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
- Add two NULL checks in unreachable places to silence Coverity (CID 144729 and 1447291) and better future-proof ourselves. Fixes bug 31024; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (crash on exit):
- Avoid a set of possible code paths that could try to use freed memory in routerlist_free() while Tor was exiting. Fixes bug 31003; bugfix on 0.1.2.2-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (logging):
- Fix a conflict between the flag used for messaging-domain log messages, and the LD_NO_MOCK testing flag. Fixes bug 31080; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (memory leaks):
- Fix a trivial memory leak when parsing an invalid value from a download schedule in the configuration. Fixes bug 30894; bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.
- Code simplification and refactoring:
- Remove some dead code from circpad_machine_remove_token() to fix some Coverity warnings (CID 1447298). Fixes bug 31027; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.