New Release: Tor Browser 8.0.2
This release features important security updates to Firefox. We picked up the necessary patches, but because we needed to start building before Mozilla was ready with a first candidate build, we did not bump the Firefox version to 60.2.2esr. Thus, users are fine with Tor Browser 8.0.2 even though the Firefox version is 60.2.1esr.
We already collected a number of unresolved bugs since Tor Browser 7.5.6 and tagged them with our tbb-8.0-issues keyword to keep them on our radar. The most important current issues are:
- WebGL is broken right now.
- Accessibility support is broken on Windows. We are considering options to address this issue right now.
- Tor Browser 8 is not starting anymore on some older Ubuntu/Mint Linux systems. We still have issues to reproduce this bug but hope we can fix it in the next release.
- Tor Browser 8 is not starting anymore on CentOS 6. We have a fix in our 8.5a2 release to give it a bit of testing. Users affected by this bug may resort to that alpha version for now. We plan to backport the patch in the next stable release.
- NoScript is not saving per-site permissions anymore. We have a potential patch for this bug in our 8.5a2 release as well and plan to backport it, too, in the next stable release in case no issues with it are found.
- While preparing the 8.0.2 release we encountered intermittent reproducibility failures for Linux (64bit) bundles.
The full changelog since Tor Browser 8.0.1 is:
- All platforms
- Update Firefox to 60.2.1esr
- Backport fix for Mozilla bug 1493900 and 1493903
- OS X
- Backport fix for Mozilla bug 1489785 for macOS 10.14 compatibility
I thought that Tor Browser is to protect and not destroy? I installed Tor Browser from a different website which encrypted all my files. The ICFKB-DECRYPT note gave the Tor Project address: https://www.torproject.org/. I downloaded and installed Tor 8.0.2. I started the Tor Browser which launched but could not take me to the configured Congratulation page. Thus, I cannot use the link: http://gandcrabmfe6mnef.onion/625478cda2b77312 that is supposed to give me instructions to decrypt my files. I use HP mini which is not compatible with higher versions of Tor Browser. Please assist me. Please decrypt my files in line with your objective of ensuring privacy and protecting us