Tor 0.2.6.10 is released
Hi, all! There's a new stable Tor release out, and source code is now available on the website. If you build Tor from source code, you'll want to upgrade. Otherwise, packages should be available reasonably soon.
Remember to check signatures! (See the FAQ for information how)
Tor version 0.2.6.10 fixes some significant stability and hidden service client bugs, bulletproofs the cryptography init process, and fixes a bug when using the sandbox code with some older versions of Linux. Everyone running an older version, especially an older version of 0.2.6, should upgrade.
Changes in version 0.2.6.10 - 2015-07-12
- Major bugfixes (hidden service clients, stability):
- Stop refusing to store updated hidden service descriptors on a client. This reverts commit 9407040c59218 (which indeed fixed bug 14219, but introduced a major hidden service reachability regression detailed in bug 16381). This is a temporary fix since we can live with the minor issue in bug 14219 (it just results in some load on the network) but the regression of 16381 is too much of a setback. First-round fix for bug 16381; bugfix on 0.2.6.3-alpha.
- Major bugfixes (stability):
- Stop crashing with an assertion failure when parsing certain kinds of malformed or truncated microdescriptors. Fixes bug 16400; bugfix on 0.2.6.1-alpha. Found by "torkeln"; fix based on a patch by "cypherpunks_backup".
- Stop random client-side assertion failures that could occur when connecting to a busy hidden service, or connecting to a hidden service while a NEWNYM is in progress. Fixes bug 16013; bugfix on 0.1.0.1-rc.
- Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip to the June 3 2015 Maxmind GeoLite2 Country database.
- Update geoip6 to the June 3 2015 Maxmind GeoLite2 Country database.
- Minor bugfixes (crypto error-handling):
- Check for failures from crypto_early_init, and refuse to continue. A previous typo meant that we could keep going with an uninitialized crypto library, and would have OpenSSL initialize its own PRNG. Fixes bug 16360; bugfix on 0.2.5.2-alpha, introduced when implementing ticket 4900. Patch by "teor".
- Minor bugfixes (Linux seccomp2 sandbox):
- Allow pipe() and pipe2() syscalls in the seccomp2 sandbox: we need these when eventfd2() support is missing. Fixes bug 16363; bugfix on 0.2.6.3-alpha. Patch from "teor".
The first 'WARN' line is important for you.