Tor 0.3.1.6-rc is released!
Tor 0.3.1.6-rc fixes a few small bugs and annoyances in the 0.3.1 release series, including a bug that produced weird behavior on Windows directory caches.
This is the first release candidate in the Tor 0.3.1 series. If we find no new bugs or regressions here, the first stable 0.3.1 release will be nearly identical to it. Please help find bugs! If we don't find any new critical problems, we'll be calling this release series "stable" soon.
If you build Tor from source, you can find Tor 0.3.1.6-rc at the usual place (at the Download page on our website). Otherwise, you'll probably want to wait until packages are available. There should be a new Tor Browser release later this month.
Changes in version 0.3.1.6-rc - 2017-09-05
- Major bugfixes (windows, directory cache):
- On Windows, do not try to delete cached consensus documents and diffs before they are unmapped from memory--Windows won't allow that. Instead, allow the consensus cache directory to grow larger, to hold files that might need to stay around longer. Fixes bug 22752; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
- Minor features (directory authority):
- Improve the message that authorities report to relays that present RSA/Ed25519 keypairs that conflict with previously pinned keys. Closes ticket 22348.
- Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the August 3 2017 Maxmind GeoLite2 Country database.
- Minor features (testing):
- Add more tests for compression backend initialization. Closes ticket 22286.
- Minor bugfixes (directory cache):
- Fix a memory leak when recovering space in the consensus cache. Fixes bug 23139; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (hidden service):
- Increase the number of circuits that a service is allowed to open over a specific period of time. The value was lower than it should be (8 vs 12) in the normal case of 3 introduction points. Fixes bug 22159; bugfix on 0.3.0.5-rc.
- Fix a BUG warning during HSv3 descriptor decoding that could be cause by a specially crafted descriptor. Fixes bug 23233; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha. Bug found by "haxxpop".
- Rate-limit the log messages if we exceed the maximum number of allowed intro circuits. Fixes bug 22159; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (logging, relay):
- Remove a forgotten debugging message when an introduction point successfully establishes a hidden service prop224 circuit with a client.
- Change three other log_warn() for an introduction point to protocol warnings, because they can be failure from the network and are not relevant to the operator. Fixes bug 23078; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha and 0.3.0.2-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (relay):
- When a relay is not running as a directory cache, it will no longer generate compressed consensuses and consensus diff information. Previously, this was a waste of disk and CPU. Fixes bug 23275; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (robustness, error handling):
- Improve our handling of the cases where OpenSSL encounters a memory error while encoding keys and certificates. We haven't observed these errors in the wild, but if they do happen, we now detect and respond better. Fixes bug 19418; bugfix on all versions of Tor. Reported by Guido Vranken.
- Minor bugfixes (stability):
- Avoid crashing on a double-free when unable to load or process an included file. Fixes bug 23155; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha. Found with the clang static analyzer.
- Minor bugfixes (testing):
- Minor bugfixes (Windows service):
- When running as a Windows service, set the ID of the main thread correctly. Failure to do so made us fail to send log messages to the controller in 0.2.1.16-rc, slowed down controller event delivery in 0.2.7.3-rc and later, and crash with an assertion failure in 0.3.1.1-alpha. Fixes bug 23081; bugfix on 0.2.1.6-alpha. Patch and diagnosis from "Vort".