Tor Browser 3.6-beta-1 is released
This beta features fully integrated Pluggable Transport support, including an improved Tor Launcher UI for configuring Pluggable Transport bridges. The Pluggable Transport code is also fully disabled for users who do not configure them.
We believe that this approach will allow us to quickly turn 3.6 into a stable release, perhaps as soon as the next point release of TBB.
This release also changes the MacOS archive format from zip to DMG, which should improve installation usability for Mac users.
This release also includes important security updates to Firefox.
Here is the complete changelog:
- Update Firefox to 24.4.0esr
- Include Pluggable Transports by default:
- Obfsproxy3 0.2.4, Flashproxy 1.6, and FTE 0.2.6 are now included
- Update Tor Launcher to 0.2.5.1
- Bug 10418: Provide UI configuration for Pluggable Transports
- Bug 10604: Allow Tor status & error messages to be translated
- Bug 10894: Make bridge UI clear that helpdesk is a last resort for bridges
- Bug 10610: Clarify wizard UI text describing obstacles/blocking
- Bug 11074: Support Tails use case (XULRunner and optional customizations)
- Update Torbutton to 126.96.36.199:
- Bug 9901: Fix browser freeze due to content type sniffing
- Bug 10611: Add Swedish (sv) to extra locales to update
- Update NoScript to 188.8.131.52
- Update Tor to 0.2.4.21
- Backport Pending Tor Patches:
- Bug 5018: Don't launch Pluggable Transport helpers if not in use
- Bug 9229: Eliminate 60 second stall during bootstrap with some PTs
- Bug 11069: Detect and report Pluggable Transport bootstrap failures
- Bug 11156: Prevent spurious warning about missing pluggable transports
- Bug 10237: Disable the media cache to prevent disk leaks for videos
- Bug 10703: Force the default charset to avoid locale fingerprinting
- Bug 10104: Update gitian to fix LXC build issues (for non-KVM/VT builders)
- Bug 4261: Use DMG instead of ZIP for Mac packages
A list of frequently encountered known issues with the Tor Browser can be found on our bugtracker. Please check that list and help us diagnose and arrive at solutions for those issues before contacting support.