Tor Browser 9.0a8 is now available from the Tor Browser Alpha download page and also from our
There's a new alpha release available for download. If you build Tor from source, you can download the source code for 0.4.2.2-alpha from the download page on the website. Packages should be available over the coming weeks, with a new alpha Tor Browser release likely in the next couple of weeks.
Remember, this is an alpha release: you should only run this if you'd like to find and report more bugs than usual.
This release fixes several bugs from the previous alpha release, and from earlier versions. It also includes a change in authorities, so that they begin to reject the currently unsupported release series.
Changes in version 0.4.2.2-alpha - 2019-10-07
- Major features (directory authorities):
- Directory authorities now reject relays running all currently deprecated release series. The currently supported release series are: 0.2.9, 0.3.5, 0.4.0, 0.4.1, and 0.4.2. Closes ticket 31549.
- Major bugfixes (embedded Tor):
- Avoid a possible crash when restarting Tor in embedded mode and enabling a different set of publish/subscribe messages. Fixes bug 31898; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
Tor Browser 9.0a7 is now available from the Tor Browser Alpha download page and also from our
Part of the Tor Project's mission is to further the popular understanding of privacy technologies, and we believe we can achieve it by combining educational efforts with usability efforts. Popular understanding is to not only be aware of such privacy technologies but to also be able to use and control them. With that in mind, we decided to integrate user experience research into our digital security training with a single program called 'User Feedback Program’.
We have a new stable release today. If you build Tor from source, you can download the source code for 0.4.1.6 from the download page on the website. Packages should be available within the next several weeks, with a new Tor Browser in the next week or two.
This release backports several bugfixes to improve stability and correctness. Anyone experiencing build problems or crashes with 0.4.1.5, or experiencing reliability issues with single onion services, should upgrade.
Changes in version 0.4.1.6 - 2019-09-19
- Major bugfixes (crash, Linux, Android, backport from 0.4.2.1-alpha):
- Tolerate systems (including some Android installations) where madvise and MADV_DONTDUMP are available at build-time, but not at run time. Previously, these systems would notice a failed syscall and abort. Fixes bug 31570; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
- Tolerate systems (including some Linux installations) where madvise and/or MADV_DONTFORK are available at build-time, but not at run time. Previously, these systems would notice a failed syscall and abort. Fixes bug 31696; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
- Minor features (stem tests, backport from 0.4.2.1-alpha):
- Change "make test-stem" so it only runs the stem tests that use tor. This change makes test-stem faster and more reliable. Closes ticket 31554.