Google Season of Docs 2019: Help Tor Improve Our Documentation
There are a few elements that are critical for the sustainability of an open source project. One of them is good documentation.
Although often neglected, documentation can be crucial for open source projects to provide meaningful guides on how to start contributing and guides on the architecture of the technology being developed.
These resources help not only newcomers and contributors to understand the technological aspects of a project but can also expose both decision making and work processes, outlining the best way to contribute.
This year Google has launched Season of Docs, similar to Summer of Code. Season of Docs brings open source and technical writer communities together. The aim is to foster collaboration and give technical writers the “experience in contributing to open source projects, and to give open source projects an opportunity to engage the technical writing community.”
The program runs for approximately 3 months from September to November 2019 and there is additionally the option of a "long-running project" which goes on for approximately 5 months, from September 2019 to February 2020.
We are pleased to announce that we have been accepted as a mentoring organization for Google’s Season of Docs 2019.
We’re a small nonprofit organization that develops free and open source software used by millions around the world, and our community of contributors and users would greatly benefit from improved documentation.
Through Season of Docs, we want to collaborate with technical writers who can help us with these projects:
- Tor Manual: We would like to re-think the information architecture of the Tor manual.
- Tor Specifications: We have several documents outlining how different elements in Tor work. We would like to rewrite them so they can be useful references.
- Tor Browser Design Doc: We would like to re-think the information architecture of this document and bring it up to date for the latest Tor Browser versions.
- Developer documentation: We would like to consolidate and rewrite the developer documentation for new contributions and volunteers that are taking new roles in the community.
- Tor Documentation: We would like to reorganize and rewrite part of the existing documentation.
You can read other possible documentation projects at Tor in our wiki, and we are open to other ideas, too. We would love to read your own proposals about how we could improve any of our documentation.
Applications for Google Season of Docs open on May 29, 2019 at 18:00 UTC. We welcome you to discuss your project with us before applying. You can email us with your ideas or questions at email@example.com.
We look forward to working with you.
When asked we put in a lot of suggestions. Where are they now? Is T.O.R. yours or ours? Aren't relay and exit operators (from our pockets) T.O.R. and therefore the community and us and you are one?
2019.torproject.org you say is this year's site but half the links don't go to that one. They go to the usual one.
You've disappeared up your own artifice.